Math: Ks finished up their subtraction unit and began a unit on measurement this week.
1s are finishing up addition with regrouping and will begin subtraction with regrouping later this week.
Reading: We’ve been working on paraphrasing facts found in non-fiction literature and print.
Writing: We are still working on our realistic fiction unit, and just finished a unit on grammar/editing. We still need 13 cereal boxes for a project later in the unit.
Art: The kids really enjoyed making animals/birds out of clay in art. They invented a creature and completed a scientific drawing of it and they needed to use it as a guide to build a three dimensional model. Ms. Amsel brought them to the kiln to be fired yesterday afternoon.
PBL: Both Ks and 1s are beginning research on their animal/bird of choice. They are practicing taking notes and documenting new learning. 1st Graders are looking forward to sharing all of their expert knowledge at the Bird Symposium on Thursday, May 28th at 6:30, and Kindergarteners will show off their learning at the PBL showcase on Thursday, June 4th.
Art: We planted a variety of plants/shrubs in the QAE garden last week, in an effort to make the garden more bird friendly. Next up: painting our bird boxes, which we've discovered should be painted to blend in with the garden.
Nests: We will be building nests in class. Your child is welcome to bring items they find outside that a bird may find useful to build a nest: sticks, grass, soil, dog/cat hair, strings…etc. If they bring something, please enclose it in a closed Ziploc bag.
Sounders Game: If you’d like to order Sounders tickets for June 13th, please send in the order form by this Friday. If you need another, please let me know.
Ms. Diller and Ms. Anna and Ms. Lauren
- Tues. May 19th- No School (teacher walkout)
- Wed. May 20-22 QAE Book Fair (Covered Playcourt)
- Mon. May 25th- Memorial Day, No School
- Thurs. May 28th- 1st Grade Bird Symposium 6:30
- Fit for Life 5K/10K Run & Walk, Sunday, May 31, 10:00am
- Tues. Jun. 2nd- Whole Class Field Trip to Juanita Bay Park
- Wed. Jun. 3rd- Early Release Day at 1:40
- Thur. Jun. 4th- QAE PBL Showcase at 6:00
- Thur. Jun. 11th- Field Day (we will participate in the morning)
- Sat. Jun. 13th- QAE Sounders Game at 7:00 pm
- Tues. Jun. 16th- Last Day of School (one hour early dismissal at 2:40)