It was wonderful to have a full week of school last week. We kept busy in room 106.
We began our author study of Arnold Lobel by reading Mouse Tales and Mouse Soup. We practiced Sequencing events in a story using the Book Creator on our iPads. We also discussed Author’s Purpose, and we decided Arnold Lobel was writing to entertain us. Next week we will be reading lots of Frog and Toad stories.
In writing we finished up our Journal Writing unit. We begin our opinion writing unit next week.
In math, first graders finished their place value unit (assessment went home Fri). We begin our 2nd addition/subtraction unit (within 20) this week. Our last addition/subtraction unit focused on using the “counting on” strategy to solve problems. This unit will focus on solving problems mentally by forming groups of 10. It is a powerful strategy that really increases number sense but it may be unfamiliar to you. Here is a video that you may find helpful. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s_2Sfqax6Y
Kindergarteners will be finishing their numbers 20-100 unit this week. They worked hard on Friday building a 100 chart with numbers cards. First they had to sort by twenty, thirty, forty….etc, and then they had to put each row in order from fewest to greatest.
I’d like another volunteer for the kindergarten field trip to the zoo on Thursday. If you can attend, please email me ASAP. We are leaving at 9:30 and hope to return around 2ish. Please remember to pack a disposable lunch on Thursday (no lunch boxes or containers that need to be returned). Ms. Lauren will be attending the zoo with the kindergarteners, as I will be staying at school with the 1st graders.
Lastly, we are out of Dixie cups again. If you could buy a box, that would be greatly appreciated!!
Have a great week!
- Thursday, March 5th-Kindergarten Field Trip to the Zoo
- Thursday, March 5th- Illustrator Carson Ellis visits QAE (first graders only)
- Friday, March 6th- School Choice Forms Due (if you have an incoming child you must submit this paperwork, siblings are not automatically enrolled in QAE)
- Friday, March 20th- QAE Benefit Auction. I will be there! Buy tickets here: https://qae.schoolauction.net/auction2015/tickets/ticket_sales
- Wednesday, March 25th- 2 Hour Early Release Day
- Friday March, 27th- First Grade Field Trip to Discovery Park
- April 1st- ParentNet meeting for all K-2 parents (6:30-8:30 PM at QAEl)